for context on this and for the
Ultimate Keyboard Setup: Ergodox EZ and Keyboard Maestro
piece of the puzzle!
Keyboard Maestro Macros
Moving Windows Around
Note that in addition to these individual movements, it’s easy in Keyboard Maestro to create your own “layouts”. E.g., for coding I want VS Code on the left 60% of my screen and Chrome on the other 40%.
Left, Right, Top, and Bottom
Move front window to Left.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to Right.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to top.kmmacros2.1KB
Move front window to bottom.kmmacros2.1KB
This is most useful when using an external monitor, a quarter screen is usually too small on a normal laptop screen.
Move front window to upper left corner.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to upper right corner.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to lower left corner.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to lower right corner.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to Fullscreen.kmmacros2.3KB
Move front window to Center.kmmacros2.1KB
layer 4, see above! I generally only use these with the Ergodox, and to not support them with the normal mac keyboard. Window movement is critical enough it is supported for normal mac keyboard as well.
Activate Github Desktop.kmmacros3.2KB
Activate SuperHuman (email).kmmacros3.3KB
Activate VS Code.kmmacros3.3KB
App Specific Buttons
The idea of an App Specific Button is that in many applications there are one or two actions that you perform quite often. For example, in my workflow, in email it is making an email as spam, and in Slack it is advancing to the next channel with unread messages, etc.
Each of these normally takes multiple key presses (the hotkey for spam is exclamation point which is shift-1, and the hotkey sequence for advancing to the next channel with unreads in Slack is command-k and then Enter). The left and right App Specific Buttons are programmed to be the 2 most common such actions in each application. You can use my macros as inspiration, but you’ll want to customize these based on your personal workflow.
Main App Specific Buttons
The keys associated with these live in prime real estate on Layer Zero of the Ergodox (see above).
App-Specific Button: Left.kmmacros23.1KB
App-Specific Button: Right.kmmacros10.6KB
Secondary App Specific Buttons
These are much less used, and are only really helpful if you have >2 commonly used actions
App-Specific Button: 1.kmmacros5.3KB
App-Specific Button: 2.kmmacros5.3KB
App-Specific Button: 3.kmmacros6.7KB
🐭 Mouse Movement
Jump mouse left.kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse right.kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse up.kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse down.kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse left (big).kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse right (big).kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse up (big).kmmacros2.2KB
Jump mouse down (big).kmmacros2.2KB
Being able to double and triple click from the keyboard is surprisingly useful!
Clicking on Notifications (not as important)
Notification--click on it.kmmacros2.1KB
Notification--click on Reply .kmmacros2.1KB
Paste By Typing is surprisingly useful- think of those form fields where they want you to retype your email or something like that, and they don’t want you to paste something in. Blech!
Paste By Typing.kmmacros1.5KB